    Re: TCP (and SCTP) sucks on high speed networks

    > From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@research.att.com>
    > To: Matt Wakeley <matt_wakeley@agilent.com>
    > Subject: Re: TCP (and SCTP) sucks on high speed networks
    > Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 17:14:05 -0500
    > We, as a profession, don't know how to do better today, in the sense that
    > we don't have a solution that is (a) rationally deployable, (b) solves this
    > problem, (c) is "TCP-friendly", in the sense that it doesn't have undue
    > negative impact on existing RFC-compliant TCP streams, and (d) is
    > reasonably compliant with the Internet and the Internet philosophy.

    I'm not sure that I agree with that.  It occurs to me that what is
    really at issue here is a question of how much the congestion window
    should be increased each RTT during CW avoidance.  Or more specifically,
    the current algorithm (1 MSS) works well when the ratio between the
    delay-bandwidth (DBW) and the MSS is small, but as DBW gets larger, and
    the ratio get larger, the algorithm starts to break down.  Since the
    CW gets pulled back back by a percentage value of the FlightSize (50%),
    perhaps it should also be increased by a percentage value of the
    FlightSize, rounded up to the nearest multiple of the MSS.  Pick the
    right value, and it won't kick in until you get a severely lopsided
    ratio such as this example.  BTW, what MSS is being assumed at 10Gbs?
    That will change the recovery time.  If you have a 64 Kbyte MSS, you are
    going to recover a lot faster than with a 1500 byte MSS.  Hence my idea
    that the discussion should focus on the size of the arithmetic increment.
    And I think a very focused discussion like that could produce some
    valid results in a fairly short time.

    			-David Borman, dab@bsdi.com