    iFCP

    With my TC Hat way off:

    I have found the Draft submitted by  Charles Monia, and Joshua Tseng, to be
    quite interesting as it applies to Gateway to Gateway protocols between
    Fibre Channel SANs.  I believe this draft is intended as an alternative to
    the drafts that are currently being looked at on the FCoverIP tract.

    In this FC SAN to FC SAN environment, the thing that I find interesting is
    that the iFCP protocol will Encapsulate each FC "Session" separately
    instead of Tunneling all the "Sessions" that arrive on a single FC cable to
    a single remote Target.  This means that Each "Session" can be individually
    routed by normal IP routing techniques.

    The reason I think this is interesting is that SAN Edge connect Devices
    (Gateways) when used with Tunneling requires (n*(n-1)) Edge Connects, where
    n is the number of SANs being interconnected.  That is, 2 SAN needs 2  Edge
    Connects (ECs), 3 SANs need 6 ECs, 4 SANs need 12 ECs, 5 need 20 ECs, etc.
    etc.  The Encapsulation techniques of iFCP, on the other hand, require only
    "n"  ECs.  (A significant difference).   This maybe very useful for
    companies that have a lot of distributed FC based systems.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd