    RE: FCIP: A question about framing

    >> Might I suggest that a more profitable approach would be to
    >> spend some time coming up with set of requirements for the
    >> transport?

    >Well, I am not saying that this is a bad idea :), but
    >the sigtran working group as just got through doing
    >just that... and defining a transport as well. It
    >took close to two years by the way :)

    The reason that I think that a transport requirements
    document would be helpful is that there
    are really two issues that are being addressed
    here at the same time and their interaction complicates
    the discussion.

    One issue is the need for extremely high speed.
    With 10 Gbps, 100 Gbps, even 1000 Gbps
    technology coming down the pike in the next
    decade, we are going to need new architectures
    in order to keep up.

    Understanding the impacts and
    needs is probably a major task by itself.
    iSCSI may be the first application
    to tackle this issue, but it will probably
    not be the last. Thus, I would hope that this
    issue is handled with some degree of generality.

    The second issue is the specific SCSI and FC over
    IP transport and security requirements. In
    discussing this, it is easy to make implicit
    assumptions about the likely solutions to
    issue #1, without necessarily laying this out
    explicitly. This makes it hard to tease the
    two problems apart and understand where
    the assumptions and proposals differ and
    what their architectural implications are.

    >Now in looking at SCSI and FC over IP and following
    >this list for quite sometime their requirements match
    >up pretty closely (as near as I can tell) with what
    >sigtran came up with.

    It'll be hard to know for sure until those requirements
    are written up in detail.

    >Instead they want to continue to try to either TWIST
    >TCP and make some fundamental changes to it

    I think that we recognize that fundamental changes
    are needed to transport implementations to operate
    at these speeds (issue #1). However, this does not
    imply changes to the transport protocols. The key
    to making progress is to clearly differentiate what
    issues can be solved within a high speed
    implementation, and what issues are inherent to
    the transport.