    iSCSI-New draft

    Dear colleagues,

    I've submitted a new draft (I assume it will be named as requested
    draft-ietf-ips-iSCSI-00.tx).

    Things included:

       symmetric session with command status and data numbering
       support for shorter tags (for FC gateways)
       timers (for FC gateways)
       stateless mapping within gateways from iSCSI to FC and FC to iSCSI
       explicit logout
       data integrity & authentication support
       per LU target tags
       support for immediate and non-immediate unsolicited data
       a mechanism for soft framing using the urgent pointer
       2 types of resets (although a bit different from what we agreed - it did
       not work out well with the C-bit)
       support for Bi-Directional commands (although as kludgy as in the FCP
       proposal but I am still working to get it in a more decent shape)

    Things not included:

       third party logout (no compelling arguments for not relegating it to a
       managing entity that should do fencing)
       a deliberate separation into an FCP and iSCSI header - beyond other
       considerations it would have tied us up to FCP forever - not a wise
       thing to do. However mapping is a no-brainer.

    The draft is heavily revised and we hope that it is better in answering
    both the "how" and the "why" questions although it is obviously not meant
    for the uninitiated.

    I will continue doing some more editing during the next two weeks to add
    more examples, state diagrams (if required) and things we have overlooked.

    Thanks the whole list for their active contributions. I hope I acknowledged
    all the active participants - and if not please accept my apologies in
    advance.

    And thanks Costa Sapuntzakis ,  Matt Wakeley and Kalman Meth - who beyond
    their technical contributions have also made the current draft to look more
    like an American-English text than to an Hebrew-English one.

    Julian Satran - IBM Research at Haifa