    RE: A Transport Protocol Without ACK (resend)

    Matt,

    You would not want an End-to-End scheme.  You would want a scheme that
    prevents any node or sub-node from over-flowing.  That is accomplished by
    Buffer-to-Buffer control.  The present scheme now in place is with a rough
    approximation of command space with any excess data discarded as required.
    This makes for a lossy channel and one that does not allow control at a
    specific sub-node that may be at its limits.  Restrain the depth of the
    sub-node with specific control.  Just 8M-byte of FIFO will represent 100
    millisecond of delay at FC speeds.  A token credit scheme ensures no node
    ever gets to a point of dropping frames in addition to allowing maintenance
    of the FIFO depth.  Should a sub-node fail, only that node stops functioning
    rather than everything being hung until resolution.  A sizable short-coming
    among many others in aggregating everything into this common scheme.

    Doug