    RE: RDMA over TCP (Was Re: VI (Was: Avoiding deadlock in iSCSI))

    Jim,

    There are practical reasons.  Lower CPU overhead is substantial motivation
    possible with SCTP together with significant reductions in latency.  You
    will not see much improvement using TCP.  You may view the CRC polynomial as
    insignificant, but the present selection is robust. Certainly, you are not
    arguing an improved CRC is needed.  An additional CRC is added when there is
    *NO* CRC protection within and between pieces of equipment and not because
    the CRC within Ethernet is not sufficient.  If you were to use an adapter to
    encapsulate FDDI, or FC, then keeping the CRC compatible opens the door to
    native access.  Changing the CRC would have little advantage and significant
    disadvantage.  As you can cleanly add SCTP at this point in time, compared
    to attempting the same with TCP, customers are more likely to be receptive
    to these improvements should the NIC interface not change for TCP and yet
    new features are offered with SCTP.  In America, innovation sells.  SCTP can
    claim the TCP heritage together being compatible to VI and SCSI innovations
    while blowing the doors off.

    Doug