    RE: Status summary on multiple connections

    David Black,
    Let me vote that there is merit in having two Asymmetric Conversation per
    Session.  Even though I do appreciate the request for a minimum of Two,
    I am troubled with the fact that I think many folks have already built
    iSCSI Initiators and Targets that use just one connection per session.

    Now in Robert Snively note below, he talks about the value of the Wedge
    Drivers, and some of us also buy into that.  However, his arguments were
    based on spreading the stuff across NICs etc.  I do not know if that is
    required, but having one TCP/IP connection that only carries Commands, and
    one that only carries Data, seemed to solve almost all the complaining and
    pacing/credit/sliding window  conversations we have been having.  This is
    true even when the second TCP/IP connection (of the session) is on the SAME
    NIC.  (Robert, I think that all your wedge statements still hold true with
    2 Asymmetric Connections per session,  if both connections are on the same
    NIC.)

    Except, for that, much of the rest of Roberts points are "right on".  So if
    we can just for awhile talk about whether the Dual Conversation Asymmetric
    approach is acceptable, I think that you may very well find that a lot of
    issue go away.  And I think that was Matt's point.

    If this is correct, then, it is important to have a minimum two
    conversation per Session (maybe two is all that is really needed).  But
    what about the implementations that are currently in flight.  I think we
    may have to permit the single connection per Session, but strongly
    discourage it, since when it gets into longer distances, or works with
    implementation with less memory, or in some kind of network stress, the
    recovery approaches are much more draconian (dropping the connection etc.).
    That means that all the implementations that are working today, will
    continue to work, but will not be nearly as good as the Asymmetric Double
    Connection per Session  (ADCS?) versions.

    Now Matt's point is that for folks just starting, being able to have code
    both the Double and the Single (with all the extra recovery/pacing stuff
    required in the Single Conversation per Session) seems wrong.  And I think
    I have heard him state that updating the Driver code from a Single to a
    Double (especially if within the same NIC, was a non problem).

    If my statements about ADCS  is correct, the testing effort should be a lot
    more straight forward since all the other various "boundary conditions"
    will not have to be tested for, since they will not exist.

    And if Matt's statements are correct, that makes me wonder why wouldn't we
    go that way as a requirement?  Does anyone that currently has iSCSI drivers
    have a problem of moving to 2 Asymmetric Connections per Session as a
    requirement, if so, please state why.

    .
    .
    .