    RE: New List: rdma@cisco.com: to discuss RDMA

    Costa, et al.,

    I believe that specifying an RDMA mechanism for iSCSI is the right thing to
    do.

    RDMA (especially when combined with a frame recovery mechanism such as the
    one described by Jim Williams) will enable iSCSI NIC implementers to
    eliminate the massive on-card buffering and double processing required to
    implement SACK in the face of long, fast, fat pipes. The NIC is able to push
    each inbound RDMA frame off into it's proper place in host memory while
    waiting for the missing packet instead of buffering the receive stream until
    the missing packet is received to recover synchronization.

    A general purpose RDMA and framing solution will benefit both iSCSI and
    VI/TCP.

    I do not believe that an RDMA mechanism should be mandatory for iSCSI.

    Manufacturers of lower cost thin storage devices may opt to limit
    applications to inside the data center, throw large amounts of off chip RAM
    at the problem (possibly not constrained to PCI NIC form factors), or accept
    lower performance by not implementing SACK, rather than go to the expense of
    the added complexity that RDMA may add to an implementation.

    I can see a future where iSCSI server initiators typically implement RDMA
    and targets typically do not. Then SCSI reads are satisfied by the target
    sending a sequence of RDMA writes to the initiator, and SCSI writes are
    satisfied by the target sending a sequence of RDMA reads to the initiator.
    This also eliminates the need for the target to send R2T. Each RDMA read is
    an implicit R2T.

    Glenn Talbott