    RE: New List: rdma@cisco.com: to discuss RDMA

    Charles,

    With respect to SCTP, features added by a TCP option for RDMA are not needed
    to support alignment and out of sequence processing that ultimately alters
    the TCP API.  SCTP adds these features without disruption or modification to
    TCP.  The intent of VI is to allow scatter/gather function to handled by the
    target.  A safer scheme would be to adhere to SCSI conventions and implement
    zero copy and out of sequence processing using SCTP and SAM structures
    related to locally pre-arranged transfer structures.  This would keep the
    initiator or client in intimate control of memory and not reliant on targets
    eliminating boundary checking.  Such a feature will slightly impact SCTP to
    add a means to generally encapsulate a data payload associated with
    structure of pointers equipped with scatter-gather lists and relative
    offsets.  Specifically, this could be defined as the FCP structure data
    structure in SCSI implementations.  I would whole-heartedly endorse such
    features within SCTP.  I would dissuade such features from being added to
    TCP.  One could view the scatter-gather list structure as a token to be used
    by the target in more conventional VI methods.

    Doug