    Re: RDMA over TCP (Was Re: VI (Was: Avoiding deadlock in iSCSI))

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Douglas Otis <dotis@sanlight.net>
    To: Jim Williams <jimw@giganet.com>; ips@ece.cmu.edu <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    Date: Monday, September 25, 2000 5:56 PM
    Subject: RE: RDMA over TCP (Was Re: VI (Was: Avoiding deadlock in iSCSI))

    >You suggest a frame aligned formatting scheme is possible using an
    >unmodified TCP.

    Yes.

    >By allowing out of sequence delivery of TCP, are you opening the window for
    >spoofing?  One need not guess the sequence, just get in front of it a bit.
    >After that, you will never recover state.

    A 64 bit randomly selected connection ID should prevent blind spoofing.
    For an attacker who snoops valid packets and then spoofs, we would
    be vulnerable.  However no window is opened, just an already open window
    failed to close tight.

    > Do you expect the RDMA option to be universally supported, and if not?

    The proposal is not an option, it is a format.  The format could potentially
    be shared by multiple protocols.  It is by no means universal; it
    applies only to those protocols that adopt it.

    >Do you see this level of CRC done in software?

    I see it being done in hardware in a NIC by anyone who cares about
    performance.  That's largely the case for TCP checksums now.  Non
    performance critical applications could do it in software.

    >> It is
    >> RECOMMENDED that each TCP segment contain exactly one RDMA segment.
    >
    >How do you achieve this recommendation?

    With cooperation of the TCP implementation.  Without that, it cannot
    in general be guaranteed.  Typically for performance critical
    applications, NICs will handle both TCP and RDMA protocol processing,
    and in this case it is easy.

    >Sending 4GB exchanges, you still have queue blocking if not head of queue
    >blocking.

    Yes.  If that's a problem, don't send 4GB messages.  All I am saying
    is that the format allows 4GB messages.

    >Can one suggest frame alignment within TCP?

    Certainly one can suggest it.  Will the suggestion be supported?
    Does it violate any rules that can't be changed?  Perhaps I
    will find out.

    >Have you investigated the use
    >of SCTP?  SCTP does solve all the related problems without violating
    >protocol or protocol API.

    SCTP is an interesting protocol with a lot of merrit and a lot of
    good ideas.  But my guess is that the market wants one transport
    protocol and wants it to be TCP.  My vote would be to stick with
    TCP and evolve it in a way that meets the requirements of the
    market and is fully compatable with the existing infrastructure.