    Re: iSCSI: multiple connection process

    Julain:

    I have not been involved in any of the offline emails
    that I am aware of and I don't see a consenses on the
    list. I think David is just trying to move us
    forward and I support this. I don't see that he is
    saying remove it completly.. just lets get something
    finished and then open this up in another draft...

    I think it is a good way to move forward...

    julian_satran@il.ibm.com wrote:

    > David,
    >
    > Only for correctness - the SAME design team has discussed both the
    > symmetric and
    > asymmetric model and choose the symmetric because it did not have a good
    > enough
    > asymmetric solution;  that does not hold now anymore and that is why I
    > opened
    > this thread (should I say I am sorry?)
    >
    > I have two objections to the direction you have taken:
    >
    > - you considered objections that where voiced to you and not to the mailing
    > list;
    >    the community should judge if they are core or marginal; I would
    > appreciate if
    >    you could summarize them
    >
    > - the key issues with any of the two approaches are understood - an
    > evaluation
    >    committee will only broaden the "discontent"
    >
    > Julo
    >
    > Black_David@emc.com on 25/09/2000 23:51:48
    >
    > Please respond to Black_David@emc.com
    >
    > To:   matt_wakeley@agilent.com, Black_David@emc.com, ips@ece.cmu.edu
    > cc:    (bcc: Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM)
    > Subject:  iSCSI: multiple connection process
    >
    > > Exactly.  There has been NO consensus that multi-connection sessions
    > should be
    > > removed from the main specification (only your proposal to do that).
    > Just
    > > because we can't (yet) agree on something, does not mean "let's not do it
    > at
    > > all, or put it off until later."
    >
    > Sorry, lack of rough consensus means one of those two.  Documents don't
    > leave the WG without rough consensus, so either the document gets delayed
    > for consensus, or the feature gets removed.  Needless to say, we don't have
    > rough consensus at the moment, nor do I see much in the way of common
    > ground emerging among the different points of view.
    >
    > > We already had the offline design team and we came up with something that
    > > everyone is arguing about.  So let's have some more discussion on what it
    > is
    > > that people don't like, and what the requirements are, so that another
    > offline
    > > design team has something to work with.
    >
    > Actually, offline design teams came up with both the Asymmetric and
    > Symmetric
    > models ... and now there's a third.  It appears to me that continued list
    > discussion is
    > an active version of "put it off until later" rather than a passive one.  I
    > could be
    > wrong, but someone will need to explain what will be different about
    > continued list
    > discussion that will lead to a consensus in a way that discussion since
    > Pittsburgh
    > has not.
    >
    > The alternative process I have in mind is more of an evaluation team than a
    > design
    > team - form a team of people who publish evaluation criteria for
> [...]

    Randall R. Stewart
    randall@stewart.chicago.il.us or rrs@cisco.com
    815-342-5222 (cell) 815-477-2127 (work)