    Internet Drafts and TCP RDMA

    > This is not baked enough to be an Internet-Draft

    Internet-Drafts do not need to be fully-baked or even
    half-baked.  They're working documents and some of their
    value is that they're easy to refer to and find.  I've
    written or contributed to some Internet-Drafts that
    were significantly lacking in the baking department
    (including at least one idea that was fundamentally
    wrong in 20/20 hindsight); an Internet-Draft is a good
    mechanism to get ideas out to see if they require more
    baking or are digging in the proverbial "wrong place".
    Working Group drafts (names of the form draft-ietf-<wg>-...)
    are expected to reflect some level of WG consensus, and
    hence be somewhat baked, but there's no corresponding
    expectation for individual submissions, and especially
    not for -00 versions of individual submissions.

    As an example of the utility of Internet-Drafts, the
    TCP RDMA non-draft has some similarities to:

    draft-csapuntz-tcprdma-00.txt

    Now, isn't that easier to find than a months-old
    email message in the archives?  In addition, there's
    a Cisco intellectual property statement covering that
    draft on the IETF intellectual property rights page:

    http://www.ietf.org/ipr.html

    Please take the time to write up substantial technical
    proposals as Internet-Drafts.  I hope Jim isn't offended
    or annoyed by this, as he's not the only person ... there
    are a bunch of other things in the archives that should
    have been Internet-Drafts.  This gets more important as
    the community on this list expands because the list
    archives are already to the point where I would not expect
    newcomers to review them in their entirety.  Doug Otis
    and Costa Sapuntzakis get credit for following this
    exhortation in the past ...

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500