    Re: iSCSI: Flow Control

    In "modern" disk arrays, what problem does XFER_RDYs solve (or is it a
    feature) ? Is there a concept of "command+immediate data" for these
    disk arrays ?

    Just as a general question.. do we need to comprehend and accomadate
    all legacy issues ?

    Matt, Are you suggesting that iSCSI should be limited to disk arrays ?

    > On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 00:35:55 -0700 you said:
    > Well, "modern" disk arrays imployed on SCSI and FC use XFER_RDYs (RTT).  They don't
    > seem to question it.
    >
    > -Matt
    >
    > David Robinson wrote:
    >
    > > Matt Wakeley wrote:
    > >
    > > > Ok, so now the SCSI processes the first command, and sends an RTT (XFER_RDY in
    > > > FC terms) to the initiator.  Now, the initiator sends the data down the same
    > > > TCP connection, and it gets stuck behind all those 998 commands in the TCP
    > > > receive buffers.  The command can't complete because it can't get the data,
    > > > and the data can't be delivered because there's no room for the commands in
    > > > front of it.  Deadlock.  Do you see the issue now?  (this is a good example of
    > > > why the single TCP connection model, be it synchronous or asynchronous, is
    > > > bad).
    > >
    > > As I said in other e-mail I question the use of RTT in a modern
    > > environment with large buffering. Data immediately following the
    > > command makes much better sense to me, but if we must support
    > > this environment then you are right that deadlock can occur.
    > >
    > >         -David

        Robert Gordon                      rbg@ipperf.com
        IP Performance, Inc
        Austin, Texas.                     <http://www.ipperf.com>