    RE: VI (Was: Avoiding deadlock in iSCSI)

    Charles,

    Depending on the capabilities of the Net-SCSI adapter, such direct copies
    would be possible without resorting to VI.  Not using VI but allowing direct
    placement also provides lower overhead and a safer system as pointers going
    astray due to a muddled target or bit rot is not a concern.  SAM requires
    buffers to be in place prior to issuing the request.  These buffers are at
    the client which is where VI becomes useful.  Unless both ends of this
    communication becomes VI, you have not provided a meaningful solution.
    Adding VI modifies TCP.  I do not think TCP is a good choice for
    implementing VI, but to make such modifications, you could equally allow
    direct copies via SCSI as well.

    In an attempt to improve sending FCP protocol, which is where the problem
    exists, these improvements have resulted in a lossy channel. I am confident
    a solution will be found.  I am also confident one could make improvements
    within the transport without affecting SCSI to achieve desired results.
    Should these become a form of credit (VI like) or command/data ready
    signaling, these solutions should apply directly to FCP structures equally
    well.

    Doug