    RE: VI (Was: Avoiding deadlock in iSCSI)

    In the context of generic ULP "flow control" issues, the following
    observations are offered.

    Assuming one VI/TCP message queue handles all SCSI control traffic for a
    target, using flow control on messages to prevent the "queue-full" condition
    has undesirable side effects. Specifically, back pressure due to lack of
    command context resources within a logical unit would stop the flow of
    commands and task management requests to all other LUNS (a form of "head of
    line" blocking).

    There's another issue that is perhaps less obvious. Even if multiple message
    queues are used, say one per LUN, stopping the flow of messages due to a
    queue full condition would also stop the flow of task management messages as
    well.

    Charles Monia
    Senior Technology Consultant
    Nishan Systems Corporation