    RE: TCP speed

    Spencer Wrote:
    >And without additionly significant work, NFS over UDP does not have
    >any form of congestion control and running NFS/UDP cross country should
    >never be done.  It bad news. :-)
    >The NFSv4 specification requires the use of a transport that provides
    >congestion control.  NFSv4 does not mandate the use of TCP but does
    >mandate the use of congestion control for comforming implementations.

    Yes, flow control is important.  When hundreds of NFS clients on Internet
    write to a NFS server, it could be very bad.

    On SCSI the savor is RTT.  While on the initiator side, the resource is
    pre-allocated before a SCSI request is generated, the target must manage its
    resource using RTT.  The difference between TCP and UDP is the
    connection-oriented acknowledges.  On long latency between two endpoints,
    waiting acknowledges can be very detrimental to performance.

    The ultimate solution to flow control in iSCSI with gigabit media is to move
    the datagrams to application software quickly.  We have absolutely no
    control when the thousands of nodes should send datagrams to a server at
    gigabit speed.  We can slow the flow down by using the concept of EE-credit.
    But, this would be a wrong solution when latency time is in milliseconds or
    even seconds.

    Y.P. Cheng, CTO, ConnectCom Solutions Corp.