    Re: TCP speed

    Y P Cheng wrote:

    > Julo wrote:
    > >Our experience is the same. TCP is FAST.
    > >The only remaining trouble is memory copy from TCP buffers
    > >to application buffers. Unless
    > >handled properly this may slow you down considerably.
    >
    > The issue is not the TCP memory to memory copy speed, it is the latency time
    > of receiving TCP acknowledges.  Between two endpoints of New York and Los
    > Angeles, latency is in milliseconds if not in seconds.  On a one-gigabit
    > network, for each millisecond there are 100K of data, or 66 1.5K datagrams
    > being transferred.  In fibre channel, there is this EE-credit, End-to-End.
    > If the sending party has 10 EE credits, it can't send more than 10
    > datagrams.  EE-credit manages the TCP sliding window currently discussed in
    > iSCSI.  After sending 10 datagrams, one must wait for acknowledges that may
    > take several hundred milliseconds to come.
    >
    > I do believe TCP is a wrong protocol for iSCSI.  A SCSI request from an
    > initiator is inherently acknowledged by its response from a target.
    > Therefore, UDP for iSCSI is a better choice.  NFS is implemented on UDP.

    And without additionly significant work, NFS over UDP does not have
    any form of congestion control and running NFS/UDP cross country should
    never be done.  It bad news. :-)

    The NFSv4 specification requires the use of a transport that provides
    congestion control.  NFSv4 does not mandate the use of TCP but does
    mandate the use of congestion control for comforming implementations.

    Spencer