    Re: iSCSI Autosense Consensus, Connection next steps

    OK, you Sync and Async Fans, let me put up an Async strawman and I would
    like to read your constructive comments (please leave out the comments that
    say I am a flaming idiot for even suggesting this strawman).

    Situation:
    Client (Host) system has more then one NIC that supports at least TCP/IP
    offload, and perhaps some parts of iSCSI.

    Approach:
       Project to the upper layers -- "n" ports where "n" is the number of NICs
       Establish "n" sessions
       For each session, place one Command Stream TCP/IP connection on a  NIC
       No session's Command Stream is on a the same NIC as any other session
       For each session, place one Data Stream TCP/IP connection on each of the
       other NICs

    Configuration Summary:
    Each NIC supports one session's Command connection, and "n-1" Data
    connections from other sessions.

    Results:
    The upper layers (SCSI drivers or Wedge drivers) will use the "n" ports as
    they currently do today.  If the wedge drivers perform load balancing
    today, they can do the same thing tomorrow with this configuration.  Data
    can flow back on any of the NICs, any NIC that did not have the Command
    Flow for a specific session.

    Does this Configuration and Approach  make since?
    Variant 1:
    Project only one upper layer port, and perform a type of round robin
    scheduling between the sessions (and thus the NICs).

    Does this Configuration and Approach  make since?

    Variant 2:
    Project only one upper layer port, and perform a type of modified round
    robin scheduling that forces all the commands for any specific LU to any
    Session that has a current I/O, for that LU, in some way outstanding.  If
    the LU has no other I/O outstanding, then place the I/O on any Session.

    Does this Configuration and Approach make since?

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd