    Re: single vs multiple channels for iSCSI commands

    Matt,

    We have to distinguish between the cases when the target and initiator have
    agreed to use RTT or have agreed to not use RTT. When using RTT, the target
    will have prepared the buffers before issuing the RTT. If the target has
    agreed to not use RTT, that means the target agrees to provide spare
    buffers to store whatever data may arrive on any of its data channels
    before the corresponding commands arrive. When the command arrives on the
    control channel, the target will be informed over which channel the data is
    being sent for that command, and the target will be able to match up the
    corresponding data buffers (including the data buffers that arrived before
    the command arrived). If the target is very limited in resources, then it
    shouldn't agree to work without RTT. If for some reason the target agreed
    to work without RTT and it runs out of buffers, we allow the target to
    discard data from its early arrival buffers and request that data to be
    resent later on via an RTT.

    In any case, the initiator may send immediate data over the control channel
    in the same packet with the command. This should only be used for small
    amounts of data (say up to 8K).

    - Kalman

    Matt Wakeley <matt_wakeley@agilent.com> on 04/07/2000 09:47:41

    Please respond to Matt Wakeley <matt_wakeley@agilent.com>