    RE: [dhcwg] Response to IESG comments on draft-ietf-dhc-isnsoption-08.txt

    Hi All:

    Another cut at the security section to address David Black's concerns.

    =====================
    Security:

    DHCP security considerations are addressed in [RFC3118].  Among these is the
    potential for a "man-in-the-middle" attack by a hostile entity modifying or
    replacing the original iSNS option message. Unless some form of
    authentication is implemented, an attacker may trick the iSNS client into
    connecting into rogue iSNS servers.

    To thwart such attacks, the DHCP response should be verified in some manner.
    One approach is direct authentication via [RFC3118], when implemented.
    Since this technology is not widely deployed, an alternative is to
    authenticate the discovered iSNS server through use of IPSec or the iSNS
    authentication block as described in [ISNS]. Of course, use of iSNS Server
    authentication implies a site-wide policy requiring use of one of the
    authentication methods specified in [ISNS] by all iSNS servers.

    If no authentication is used and it is determined that the potential exists
    for one of the attacks described in [RFC3118], then the DHCP option message
    for iSNS should not be utilized.

    ======================

    <stuff Deleted>

    Thanks,