    NAT and SendTargets (was Errata to -20)

    • To: eddy_quicksall@ivivity.com
    • Subject: NAT and SendTargets (was Errata to -20)
    • From: Black_David@emc.com
    • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:38:55 -0400
    • Cc: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    Title: Message
    Eddy,

    I'm sorry, but that's incorrect.  If the target is running "behind a NAT
    box", it is the responsibility of the administrator(s) of the NAT box
    and the target to assign a stable public-side (of NAT) IP address to
    the target (which may be mapped to a different private-side IP address
    if the NAT is being used for something like renumbering), and configure
    that address to be returned by SendTargets.  Your proposed approach to
    NAT support will not work for any configurations that have any additional
    complexity that requires IP addresses to be returned.

    If you want to see iSCSI change to support access through NATs, write
    an Internet-Draft - NAT support changes that result in behavior on
    the wire changes and potential breakage of initiator code are not
    appropriate for the final 24 hours editorial changes prior to RFC
    publication.

    EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
    +1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
    black_david@emc.com        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754