    RE: checking immediate data

    David,

    I agree and that is why we have it (if I can recall correctly). But
    although we don't intend to do anything we should commiserate with the
    purists :-)

    Black_David@emc.com
    08/08/2003 16:26

    Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL, eddy_quicksall@ivivity.com
    cc
    ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject
    RE: checking immediate data

    Eddy and Julian

    In the current specification, the target requirement also avoids
    an interoperability problem if a broken initiator sends immediate
    data that it has no business sending - since in the absence of the
    requirement, target acceptance of the immediate data will be
    implementation-dependent, the result is an annoying "sometimes
    it works, sometimes it doesn't" situation.

    It's better to have the initiator fail the first time it tries this
    and get fixed, as opposed to building up an installed base where this
    works when it shouldn't, as that would eventually cause removal of
    the ImmediateData negotiation key, as targets would always have to
    accept immediate data to deal with broken initiators who don't
    know how not to send it.

    +1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
    black_david@emc.com        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Fri Aug 08 13:19:26 2003
12809 messages in chronological order