    [Fwd: Re: StatSN and overlapped commands]

    • To: pat_thaler@agilent.com, ips@ece.cmu.edu
    • Subject: [Fwd: Re: StatSN and overlapped commands]
    • From: Julian Satran <satran@haifasphere.co.il>
    • Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 07:56:08 +0300
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    To add to the previous note - keeping the status around is by itself a
    performance penalty but I read the question as being about recovery and
    you have to keep it around for recovery.

    Julo

    pat_thaler@agilent.com wrote:

    > Julian,
    >
    > I agree that the initiator is misbehaving, but I don't agree that the target should detect that misbehavior. The target SCSI layer thinks the command was done when it generated the status. As David said, the target keeps the status around so that it can resend it if requested by Status SNACK. It doesn't need to keep track of the tag anymore at that point.
    >
    > If the target had to generate an error when a command came with for a tag before the status for a prior command with the same tag was acknowledged, then it would have to clear the memory of tags when status acks came in which is less efficient than doing it when posting the status.
    >
    > Pat

    Pat,

    The target has to remember the status the status for recovery - if both
    I and T have agreed on recovery. If it drops it some recovery scenarios
    won't work.

    You are right that when no recovery is agreed status can be dropped but
    not so if recovery is agreed. And while within connection recovery is
    not based on ITT a recovered status containing a wrong ITT is not a good
    idea!

Last updated: Thu Aug 07 13:19:28 2003
12786 messages in chronological order