    Re: iSCSI/iWARP drafts and flow control

    On Sunday, July 27, 2003, at 08:31 PM, Mike Ko wrote:

    > Caitlin, it looks like as far as iSCSI asynchronous messages are
    > concerned, we both agree that "setting limits on most of the types
    > listed
    > is so easy that there is no need to negotiate the limit".  So the only
    > other item is the SCSI asynchronous events, and the question yet to be
    > answered is how many AENs can realistically be sent at one time.  Since
    > the optional Shared Receive Queue already provides a solution to
    > handling
    > this situation without impacting the iSCSI spec, does anyone else
    > thinks
    > that the handling of AENs justify adding a negotiable item to set a
    > hard
    > limit on the number of AENs?
    >
    > Mike Ko
    > IBM Almaden Research
    > San Jose, CA 95120

    The DDP draft explicitly places responsibility for flow control of
    untagged
    messages on the ULP.

    That's "flow control", not "flow estimation".

    "Control" ultimately involves *limiting* the amount that *may* be
    transmitted.
    Just as the buffer limits do for TCP and SCTP. It is the fact that
    buffer
    limits are effectively removed for RDMA streams that leads to the
    *requirement*
    that the ULP perform flow control on untagged message.

    So the question is whether the limit on the number of asynchronous
    messages
    is specified in iSER or negotiated dynamically.

    On *that* issue, I can't really think of any reason why there would ever
    be a need to negotiate a non-standard amount.

    Caitlin Bestler - cait@asomi.com - http://asomi.com/

Last updated: Tue Aug 05 12:46:09 2003
12771 messages in chronological order