    Re: iSCSI: Login Redirect

    Title:

    Caitlin Bestler wrote:
    On Wednesday, July 16, 2003, hufferd@us.ibm.com wrote:

    Extending my own note... I also believe it would be wrong to
    set a minimum number of guaranteed redirects.  This is because,
    I expect several system vendors to use iSCSI as a DAS
    technology as well as SAN technology. (Similar to the way a
    number of vendors "Racked" their FC external Raid controllers
    together with the server as a Direct Connection.)  When used in
    this manner the customer does not even need to think about the
    system being on a SAN.  Yet the Storage/System Vendor could use
    the very same Raid controller, which they use in a SAN, as a
    direct attachment to the Server in a RACK.  In this environment
    if any redirect occur, it might be considered a error.

    So in the above DAS environment having a minimum is, IMHO, not
    approprate.

    Very good point. Any minimum needs to be expressed relative to
    a deployment profile, and definitely be no stronger than a SHOULD.
    Some guidance on what a *typical* initiator deployed in a general
    environment should support would still be a good idea to state.

    I think that the iSCSI spec as it is written now implies that an initiator, by default, MUST accept at least one redirect since redirection is a MUST feature.  Of course, to support the "iSCSI as DAS" application, an initiator may well want to provide the option to allow the administrator to configure it so as to fail *any* redirect attempts.

    To support the "fault tolerant iSCSI" application that we describe in our I-D (draft-gilligan-iscsi-fault-tolerance-00.txt), an initiator definitely would need to support more than one (the 100 redirect limit that Windriver implements sounds like more than enough).  We cast our I-D as "implementation guidelines" because we recognized that, due to the wide variety of applications that iSCSI will be deployed in, the behaviors we recommend for this particular application might not be universally applicable.  So you could view this document as a "deployment profile."  We can add a discussion of the need to support multiple redirects to our document.

    Bob.

Last updated: Tue Aug 05 12:46:11 2003
12771 messages in chronological order