    Re: iSCSI: Login Redirect

    Extending my own note... I also believe it would be wrong to set a minimum number of guaranteed redirects.  This is because, I expect several system vendors to use iSCSI as a DAS technology as well as SAN technology.  (Similar to the way a number of vendors "Racked" their FC external Raid controllers together with the server as a Direct Connection.)  When used in this manner the customer does not even need to think about the system being on a SAN.  Yet the Storage/System Vendor could use the very same Raid controller, which they use in a SAN, as a direct attachment to the Server in a RACK.  In this environment if any redirect occur, it might be considered a error.

    So in the above DAS environment having a minimum is, IMHO, not approprate.

    Instead, the permissible number of redirects is an administrative or implementation setting.
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/System Group, San Jose CA
    Main Office: (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403, eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Alt Office: (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
    Internet Address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

    John Hufferd/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS
    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    07/16/2003 05:07 AM

    I think that Mallikarjun, has correctly stated what should/should not be done here.  The number of times that an initiator may permit its connection request to be redirected is an initiator design consideration.  It is inappropriate to have a hard limit built into the protocol.
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/System Group, San Jose CA
    Main Office: (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403, eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Alt Office: (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
    Internet Address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

    "Mallikarjun C." <cbm@rose.hp.com>
    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    07/15/2003 10:14 AM