    RE: Additional FC MIBs proposed

    Keith,

    T11 has certainly traditionally not had a great amount of MIB expertise,
    although with the formation of T11.5 containing some organizations with
    expertise in this area, and the participation of some of us in efforts like
    the SCSI MIB along with some notable experts that's changing, albeit slowly.
    :-)) However that is OK because T11 has also never generated a MIB for Fibre
    Channel, as far as I'm aware. The draft-ietf-ipfc-fcmgmt-int-mib was neither
    submitted to the IETF by T11 (it was created in an independent industry
    group called the Fibre Alliance), nor was it developed in T11.

    I'm frankly not sure what your reference to "publishing
    draft-ietf-ips-fcmgmt-mib
    as if it were the definitive standard for a Fibre Channel MIB" relates to.
    If this relates to the MIB-FA Technical Report that was recently published
    as INCITS TR-33:2003 then:

    a) This is a Technical Report, NOT a standard, definitive or otherwise.

    b) The TR contains three different revisions of the MIB, because all three
    are used and different.

    c) The Scope section of this document states:

    The MIBs specified in this technical report are widely implemented even
    though they do not meet IETF requirements. To address this issue a revised
    Fibre Channel Management MIB has been developed in the IETF. For new
    implementations, vendors should implement the revised IETF Fibre Channel
    Management MIB.

    This wording was introduced in response to a comment submitted against the
    T11 Letter Ballot by Cisco. I'm both the T11.5 Chair and the T11 webmaster,
    and I'm certainly not aware of any  requests for wording in relation to this
    subject that weren't honored.

    The T11 web site does not list any reference to draft-ietf-ips-fcmgmt-mib as
    a published standard. Quite to the contrary, the front page for Task Group
    T11.5 (http://www.t11.org/t11/stat.nsf/tg5) links to a page containing SNMP
    information on which the only MIBs referenced are the IETF Entity MIB, and
    the FC Management MIB I-D via the link on the IETF IP Storage WG page.

    Keith, I completely agree that the current situation regarding the FA MIB is
    NOT good, and I'd like to see the new MIB adopted with all possible speed.
    Part of the reason that I agreed to come back into T11 and get involved in
    T11.5 was a realization that the many of the FC companies had not been
    closely integrated enough with the development of management interfaces and
    information definitions. That having been said, I'm under pressure from some
    quarters to focus T11.5's attention on newer and supposedly "more
    extensible" management schemes. I think that would be narrow-minded in the
    extreme, but discussions like this aren't exactly helping my cause!

    I've already indicated to the IPS WG Co-Chairs that I'm neutral as to where
    further MIB work for FC gets done, and I'll personally participate wherever
    this happens. If the decision is that there is insufficient support in the
    IETF I'll solicit support for one or more new projects getting created in
    T11.5 to do this work, and I'll issue a call for people with expertise to
    participate as always. I still have the slides from your "Tips on MIB
    design" presentation that you gave to the IP Working Group on August 27,
    2001 and I'd certainly solicit your making the same type of presentation in
    T11.5 and your active participation in the work there if at all possible.
    Regardless of where the work gets done, I think you'll find a number of
    people with very firm desires NOT to repeat what happened with the earlier
    Fibre Channel MIBs.

    Regards,

    Roger Cummings

    roger.cummings@veritas.com