    RE: iSCSI read/write cost difference

    The "e1000" driver for the Intel gigabit NIC has some tweakable parameters
    that can be adjusted to give better performance.  See
    Documentation/networking/e1000.txt in the root of the kernel source for more
    details.

    > now the IOPS result shows that
    >
    > 		2k		4k		8k
    > 16k		32k
    > read		1975	1781	1557	1081	767
    > write 	2877	2225	1588	812		533
    >
    > for small reuqests, read is slower than write, while for
    > large requests, read is faster than write. i redo the
    > experiments on another enviroment, also get similar results.
    >
    > can anybody explain why this happens?

    I think the UNH iSCSI implementation dosen't set TCP_NODELAY on the
    connection sockets, which can lead to strange performance characteristics
    like this.  See the man pages for "setsockopt" and "tcp".  You can find an
    example of setting TCP_NODELAY in the linux-iscsi drivers at
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-iscsi.  Just download the source and
    grep for TCP_NODELAY.

    Anthony J. Battersby
    Cybernetics