    From: Russell Lewis [mailto:russelll@us.ibm.com]
    Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 5:50 PM
    To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: RE: Are there any coming iSCSI HBAs? Preferably at 100Mb speed?

    An HBA of the sort I'm envisioning wouldn't need iSCSI Boot compliance.  I
    was thinking more along the lines of a card where you preconfigure the IP
    address and iSCSI parameters and burn it onto flash memory.

    I know that $50-$100 is the commodity price range...that's exactly what I'm
    looking for.  I know that it's too early to really expect that, but
    somebody like NetGear could make a lot of money...

    I just wonder if somebody could take fairly standard 10/100 Ethernet
    hardware, slap on a little embedded processor, some memory, and some
    EEPROM, and then run an open source initiator.  For development simplicity,
    maybe just run embedded Linux on the little processor.

    |         |           "Steven J.       |
    |         |           Schuchart Jr."   |
    |         |           <sschuchart@nwc.c|
    |         |           om>              |
    |         |           owner-ips@ece.cmu|
    |         |           .edu             |
    |         |           04/11/2003 12:30 |

    ---------------------------------------------------|

      |       To:       <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    |
      |       cc:
    |
      |       Subject:  RE: Are there any coming iSCSI HBAs?  Preferably at
    100Mb speed?                                             |

    ---------------------------------------------------|

    Hmmm....I am reviewing iSCSI HBAs that look like SCSI adapters to the
    system
    right now.  They are 10/100/1000, and cost in excess of $500.00.  I
    seriously doubt there will be a card like you describe for economic
    reasons.

    The $50-$100 price range is a commodity price range.  The development costs
    are going to be prohibitive for an iSCSI HBA at that low speed, especially
    when you can simply add a second NIC on a different subnet for iSCSI
    traffic
    for about that price.  That's not even addressing the issue of a 100Mb
    card.
    Most people will not put up with 10MB/sec max disk transfer rates.

    Beyond that, I do not believe that the iSCSI boot specification is
    completed
    as of yet.  As far as I know you cannot boot from an iSCSI device at this
    time.  If that's not right, someone please correct me.

    Honestly, you would be better off using a PXE network boot.

    Steven

    Steven J. Schuchart Jr.
    Associate Technology Editor
    Servers and Storage Technology
    Network Computing Magazine
    Email:  sschuchart@nwc.com
    "Information is the currency of democracy." - Thomas Jefferson