    Re: Are there any coming iSCSI HBAs? Preferably at 100Mb speed?

    "Steven J. Schuchart Jr." wrote:

    > Hmmm....I am reviewing iSCSI HBAs that look like SCSI adapters to the system
    > right now.  They are 10/100/1000, and cost in excess of $500.00.  I
    > seriously doubt there will be a card like you describe for economic reasons.
    >
    > The $50-$100 price range is a commodity price range.  The development costs
    > are going to be prohibitive for an iSCSI HBA at that low speed, especially
    > when you can simply add a second NIC on a different subnet for iSCSI traffic
    > for about that price.  That's not even addressing the issue of a 100Mb card.
    > Most people will not put up with 10MB/sec max disk transfer rates.

    Many of the Windows/Linux applications do just fine over 100Mb.  For
    the apps that really do need close to 1Gb, you would want the iSCSI HBA
    for other reasons that diskless booting, so the cost may already need
    to be spent.

    > Beyond that, I do not believe that the iSCSI boot specification is completed
    > as of yet.  As far as I know you cannot boot from an iSCSI device at this
    > time.  If that's not right, someone please correct me.

    We (Cisco) have an iSCSI network boot capability that is software-
    only, using PXE.  It has been shipping since October 2002, and follows
    the iSCSI boot specification.  Other than potential security concerns
    (for those who wish to do this over a more public network), it works
    just fine, and provides a very good (and extremely cheap; it even works
    well over 100Mbps for most applications) diskless solution.  It does,
    however, currently require a Cisco iSCSI target for support purposes,
    which would probably rule out a home solution.

    --
    Mark A. Bakke
    Cisco Systems

Last updated: Fri Apr 11 20:19:09 2003