    question on iSCSI and NBD

    I have a question on iSCSI.It is originated from contrast of iSCSI with
    NBD.

    As all know, NBD also support block storage over IP. So maybe we can
    also consider it as a technology of IP storage,which originated even
    earlier than iSCSI.

    Besides it's simplicity (which may bring less powfulness. ?)
    Another feature i think more is that it intercepts on the request level.
    while iSCSI intercepts on more lower level,it is on SCSI command level.
    This shows a different computing distribution strategy.

    But with the prevalence of virtual device(such as LVM ,...)
    what are the results of the two different technology?
    In order to access the virtual device, the low level request of SCSI
    command which are carried by iSCSI should be transformed to upper level
    request,while the additional transformation is not needed when using
    NBD,where just a simple routing mechanism is needed.

    Do i understand them correctly?
    As a technology of IP storage ,iSCSI provide apparent advantages(not all
    the aspects) over FCP
    What advantages over NBD does iSCSI provide?

    need all your point and help.

    with my best regards.

Last updated: Thu Apr 10 15:19:09 2003
12468 messages in chronological order