    From: Kevin Gibbons [mailto:kgibbons@NishanSystems.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 6:39 PM
    To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: iSCSI: Portal Group clarification

    Hi, I would like to make sure I understand the iSCSI model correctly.  Can
    anyone confirm that a Portal, providing access to a target, is part of
    exactly one Portal Group at a time?  My reading of the spec indicates this
    is true.  That each Portal has a 16 bit Portal Group tag.  But I would like
    to make sure.

    I believe that in iSCSI draft 20, it states that a Portal can be part of
    exactly one Portal Group.  Please see page 15:

       - Portal Groups: iSCSI supports multiple connections within the same
       session; some implementations will have the ability to combine
       connections in a session across multiple Network Portals. A Portal
       Group defines a set of Network Portals within an iSCSI Network
       Entity that collectively supports the capability of coordinating a
       session with connections spanning these portals. Not all Network
       Portals within a Portal Group need participate in every session
       connected through that Portal Group. One or more Portal Groups may
       provide access to an iSCSI Node. Each Network Portal, as utilized by
       a given iSCSI Node, belongs to exactly one portal group within that
       node.

    	Also, please see page 39 for similar wording.  There is also a
    figure on page 40:

         ----------------------------IP Network---------------------
                |               |                    |
           +----|---------------|-----+         +----|---------+
           | +---------+  +---------+ |         | +---------+  |
           | | Network |  | Network | |         | | Network |  |
           | | Portal  |  | Portal  | |         | | Portal  |  |
           | +--|------+  +---------+ |         | +---------+  |
           |    |               |     |         |    |         |
           |    |    Portal     |     |         |    | Portal  |
           |    |    Group 1    |     |         |    | Group 2 |
           +--------------------------+         +--------------+
                |               |                    |
       +--------|---------------|--------------------|--------------------+
       |        |               |                    |                    |
       |  +----------------------------+  +-----------------------------+ |
       |  | iSCSI Session (Target side)|  | iSCSI Session (Target side) | |
       |  |                            |  |                             | |
       |  |       (TSIH = 56)          |  |       (TSIH = 48)           | |
       |  +----------------------------+  +-----------------------------+ |
       |                     iSCSI Target Node                            |
       |             (within Network Entity, not shown)                   |

    Please let me know if I am in error.
    	Thanks very much! Kevin

    Kevin Gibbons
    Nishan Systems, Inc.