    RE: iSCSI: version number

    Bill:

    Congrats!  You have pointed to a justified reason to never change the
    version from 0.  Since changing the "wire format" seems unrealistic, and
    this denotes the protocol, it looks like version 0 is glued and tatoo'd.

    Thanks,

    Andre Hedrick
    LAD Storage Consulting Group

    On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 wrstuden@wasabisystems.com wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 Black_David@emc.com wrote:
    >
    > > > PEOPLE have been asking for this change all along and they where told
    > > > that the IETF rules do not allow drafts to carry any version number beyond
    > > 0.
    > >
    > > That's not quite true - we probably should have changed the number when
    > > the draft made it through WG Last Call.  Mea culpa in part, but we are
    > > where we are.
    > >
    > > > That sounds to me like the version 1 is related to document status change.
    > > > It will help also distinguish implementations that support the RFC rather
    > > > than the draft.
    > >
    > > The problem I'm concerned about is that I see people shipping
    > > implementations
    > > that conform to the "approved" standard (draft -20 + the two RFC Editor
    > > notes),
    > > and changing the version number takes those implementations out of
    > > conformance
    > > solely to change the version number for an RFC that is otherwise
    > > functionally identical.
    >
    > >From talking with some IETFrs that have been at this for a while, the
    > general concensus is that we don't HAVE to do change the version number;
    > the version number SHOULD change when the wire format changes. Since going
    > from draft 20 to the RFC didn't change the wire format, there is no
    > compelling reason to do it.
    >
    > Now we COULD change the version number, but I really don't see any reason
    > to, since we didn't change the wire format. So let's please leave it
    > alone.
    >
    > Take care,
    >
    > Bill

Last updated: Tue Feb 25 04:19:18 2003