    RE: iSCSI: Data In PDU with S bit set

    Dennis,

    Target has to send a single status (either in the data or in a separate response). The last statement says only that initiator should be handle both types of responses
    but it does not say that it has to support them on a single command. As Eddy has already pointed out the task ceases to exist as soon as the status is received.

    Sending a second status is WRONG and may inadvertently "close" at the initiator a subsequent command using the same ITT.

    Julo

    Dennis Young <DYoung@Brocade.COM>
    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    20/02/03 04:47

    "'Buck Landry'" <blandry@crossroads.com>, Lakshmi Ramasubramanian <nramas@windows.microsoft.com>
    cc
    ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject
    RE: iSCSI: Data In PDU with S bit set

    In section 10.7 (draft 20):

       Status can accompany the last Data-in PDU if the command did not end
      with an exception (i.e., the status is "good status" - GOOD,

      CONDITION MET or INTERMEDIATE CONDITION MET).  The presence of

      status (and of a residual count) is signaled though the S flag bit.

      Although targets MAY choose to send even non-exception status in

      separate responses, initiators MUST support non-exception status in

      Data-In PDUs.

    Based on the last sentence of the above paragraph, the initiator has
    to be able to handle both cases, while the target has the option to
    not send a separate response if there is no exception.

    -Dennis