    RE: iSCSI: Kerb auth issue 2 - name use in kerberos

    > All the Kerberos folks I talked to said (after translating) that as the
    > canonical name in iSCSI is the node name, the principal SHOULD be
    > "iscsi/<node_name>". You should really only do something different if you
    > have a good reason. And maybe even not then.

    This is usually the right answer *in isolation* - CHAP is similar, in
    that using the iSCSI node name as the CHAP identity is the simplest
    and proverbial "right" thing to do in the absence of other considerations.
    In practice, the reason for allowing the authentication identity to be
    different from the node name was to make it easier to reuse/extend
    existing authentication systems (e.g., Kerberos and RADIUS servers)
    by providing a means to avoid inflicting iSCSI names on them.  FWIW,
    Bill's suggestion to use the iSCSI node name as the authentication
    principal when not otherwise explicitly specified makes
    sense to me as a reasonable default.

    And congratulations/thanks to Bill for getting this to work!!

    +1 (508) 293-7953 **NEW**     FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
    black_david@emc.com        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Mon Dec 23 13:19:02 2002
12094 messages in chronological order