    iSCSI MIB: Post-last-call comment

    OK, I know that last call is finished, but we found one
    more thing to resolve:

       Since iSCSI sessions "belong" to iSCSI nodes, where do
       discovery sessions go on a target?  Since there's no
       target endpoint of a discovery session, there's no place
       to put them.  Discovery sessions on an initiator do not
       appear to pose the same problem, since the initiator's
       identity is present during discovery session login.

    To solve this in a simple fashion, we have a few choices:

    1. Leave out support for discovery sessions within the MIB

    2. Add a "discovery" node under which to put discovery sessions

    3. Move sessions out from under nodes (which would be a fairly
       significant change.

    I think that solution (3) is overkill, and (1) is probably not
    enough.

    Solution (2) can be done fairly cleanly, by allowing a node with
    a blank iscsiNodeName field to exist as the end point for discovery
    sessions.

    I'd like to propose that we solve this by simply adding the
    following text to the iscsiNodeName description:

      "If this string is left blank, this node is a discovery-only
       node, and supports only discovery sessions."

    This could be used for initiators as well, for the symmetrically-
    inclined.

    If I don't hear any comments on this proposal, I'll put it in
    before the draft goes to the ADs.

    --
    Mark A. Bakke
    Cisco Systems