    RE: IPS: iSCSI MIB last call

    > Another thought I had was to add a session-type field. It
    > would be Normal-Only, Discovery-Only, or Both.
    >
    > This feature is designed to permit having "closed" targets
    > (where the target isn't seen in discovery, like closed 802.11
    > networks), and also to permit anyone to do discovery
    > (ipsAuthMethodNone is in the auth entry)  & find the target,
    > but not let everyone access the target.

    If something like this were added, there would have to be a way to indicate
    at the iSCSI target node level whether this is an "open" or "closed" target
    - this becomes the default for unlisted initiators.  In a "closed" target,
    only initiators which are in the ACL are allowed to open a session, and then
    which session type is allowed depends on an attribute of the auth entry for
    this initiator.  In an "open" target, by default initiators not listed in
    the ACL are allowed to open a discovery session.

    That said, I don't like adding something this significant this late in the
    process, because it really requires more thorough examination of the entire
    structure of both MIBs.  Seems like this should be addressed in a separate
    draft?

    Marjorie

Last updated: Wed Oct 23 16:19:00 2002
11972 messages in chronological order