    RE: question on reserve and release !

    > > I have a question on how iscsi will handle the scsi reserve
    > > and release commands.
    > >
    > > When multiple iscsi initiators make calls to the same iscsi
    > > target, the actual scsi device only sees one single scsi id
    > > (that of the scsi HBA on the iscsi target machine).  This
    > > would mean that different iscsi initiators sending scsi reserve
    > > command will be interpreted by the scsi target as commands
    > > from the same scsi initiator.

    Which in turn would mean that the implementation of the iscsi to
    parallel scsi gateway is broken.  SCSI is *not* an end to end
    protocol whose CDBs can be transparently passed through when
    changing transports.  For this example, the iscsi to scsi gateway
    either has to present multiple initiators to the target or has
    to implement the reserve and release functionality itself on
    behalf of the target (which should then not be connected externally
    via any means other than this gateway).

    +1 (508) 293-7953 **NEW**     FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
    black_david@emc.com        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Tue Oct 22 14:19:05 2002
11963 messages in chronological order