    RE: IPS-ALL: iSNS WG Last Call

    Title: RE: IPS-ALL: iSNS WG Last Call

    Chair hat on --

    From Josh's email, it appears that should FCIP need iSNS support in the future, it will be fairly easy to add support to iSNS.  If the protocol numbers are assigned by IANA (which they probably should be), should FCIP desire iSNS support it can request a protocol number from IANA at that time.

    FCIP has completed working group last call, and iSNS is now in WG last call.
    Instead of modifying these drafts directly at this stage to include FCIP support, an new draft on this topic should be prepared and presented to the working group.  A discussion can then be held to determine if there is interests in such a draft being adopted by the WG as a work group item.

    There are some statements in the FCIP draft that state that SLPv2 is the only discovery mechanism supported, and iSNS only mentions support for iSCSI and iFCP in many places throughout the document.  The effect of the new draft would in effect augment both the iSNS and FCIP draft to support iSNS.

    Thanks,

    Elizabeth Rodriguez
    IPS WG co-chair
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Anil Rijhsinghani [mailto:anil.rijhsinghani@mcdata.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 7:05 AM
    To: 'roweber@acm.org'; ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Cc: Dave Peterson
    Subject: RE: IPS-ALL: iSNS WG Last Call

    While we did agree to use SLPv2 for dynamic discovery in FCIP, there was no
    agreement that no other protocol can be used. Specifying FCIP support in
    iSNS requires no change to the FCIP draft (other than perhaps a reference).

    Joshua: allow us to take this discussion back into the FCIP group. We will
    get back to you on this.

    Regards,
    Anil