    Re: iSCSI : Query about parameter exchange

    On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Priya Viswambharan wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a query about parameter negotiation/declaration.
    >
    > Consider the following scenario.
    > I --> T    T=1, csg=0, nsg=3
    >
    > If the target has to send say its MaxRecvDataSegmentLength (or any other
    > key which is not valid in the Security phase) to the initiator, is it ok
    > for the target to respond with
    > T --> I    T=0, csg=1
    >             MaxRecvDataSegmentLength=<value>
    > so that it can notify the Initiator of its capacity.

    No. You can only exchange security parameters in Security phase.

    Oh, you have to say csg=0 back since that was the stage the first packet
    was in.

    I think though that the target can say

    T --> I T=1 csg=0 nsg=1

    and then exchange keys in the normal phase.

    > I believe there are some implementations that behave this way. In a
    > Normal session, if such a login PDU is received from the Initiator the
    > target can send its MaxRecvDataSegmentLength through a Text response in
    > Full feature phase. But how could a target notify the Initiator of its
    > MaxRecvDataSegmentLength in the following 2 scenarios : 1) a Discovery
    > session 2) a Normal Session and the Initiator has not sent a text
    > request to the target.

    As above, the target just forces a normal negotiation phase, and all is
    well.

    Take care,

    Bill

Last updated: Wed Oct 09 02:19:05 2002