    RE: iscsi: iSCSI Boot -- Informational or Standards track

    > An item that is not quoted as open  (perhaps it went in too late
    > for the last call) was a request to format in a "generally accepted way"
    > information about the boot target (e.g., what OS image does it carry?).

    The specific request was to modify the iscsi DHCP Root Path option
    format to carry that information, and the response to that request is
    a firm "NO"; as a result the item is not open.

    I have privately advised the originator of the request to
    find a more general way to do this via other DHCP options (preferably
    existing ones, but new ones if necessary), which will have the
    added benefit of providing this functionality for network boot
    mechanisms other than iSCSI.  That should be written up in a separate
    Internet-Draft, probably for the dhc WG rather than the ips WG.
    That draft could reference the iSCSI boot draft, but as a mechanism
    of wider applicability, I believe it's inappropriate to add this
    material to the iSCSI boot draft.

    Comments?
    +1 (508) 249-6449            FAX: +1 (508) 497-8018

Last updated: Thu Sep 19 12:19:35 2002
11860 messages in chronological order