    RE: iscsi: iSCSI Boot -- Informational or Standards track

    Title: iscsi: iSCSI Boot -- Informational or Standards track
    [WG chair hat on]

    Folks,

    Having just had to explain how/why fiddling with formats for
    the DHCP Root Path option could cause interoperability problems,
    I'm inclined to send have the boot draft go standards track in
    order to specify that when the "iscsi:" prefix is used for the
    DHCP Root Path option to support booting via iSCSI, then the format
    defined in the boot draft MUST be used.  At the moment, I think use
    of RFC 2119 imperatives (e.g., MUST) would be limited to Section 4
    of the boot draft where this format is defined, but I think the
    interoperability issue recently discussed on this list merits
    using those imperatives.  Section 1 of the boot draft is about
    requirements on booting mechanisms for iSCSI and hence does
    not appear to warrant RFC 2119 imperatives.

    Comments?

    EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
    +1 (508) 249-6449            FAX: +1 (508) 497-8018
    black_david@emc.com       Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754