    RE: SAS and iSCSI

    Andre,

    > Will the additional opcodes and command descriptor blocks that
    > are definied in SAS be transferred using additional header
    > segements by the iSCSI transport?

    At the moment, the SAS specification
    (ftp://ftp.t10.org/t10/drafts/sas/sas-r01.pdf) says:

    	10.3 SCSI commands

    	No SAS-specific SCSI commands are defined.

    So, no iSCSI modifications are currently needed.

    > This assumes there will be new opcodes as SAS is very much
    > ontrack to be an API for array management.

    As long as those opcodes are SCSI opcodes that use SCSI CDBs
    in a fashion specified by T10, no iSCSI modifications will
    be needed.

    > Specifically where many of the current
    > management applications of heavily mated to SCSI and SAS is a means to
    > grant them extended life, whereas the hardware is dying.  So
    > in order to acommidate such dependencies, the concern is to insure that
    > iSCSI will be adaptable to address their over short comings to be so
    > tightly tied to a transport layer and semi dependent of physical layers.

    Yes and no.  To the extent that they depend on issuing SCSI commands,
    receiving SCSI responses, etc., iSCSI handles that.  To the extent
    that they depend on physical layer specifics (e.g., parallel SCSI
    mode pages), they're broken and should be fixed, although I don't
    think there are any fundamental obstacles to emulating parallel SCSI
    mode pages in an iSCSI target to accommodate such brain-damaged
    software if one really wanted to do so.

    As for the original question about whether iSCSI AHSs (additional header
    segments) would be used for SAS, the answer appears to be "only for
    extended CDB formats defined by T10", something that iSCSI already
    supports (AHS code 1).

    +1 (508) 249-6449            FAX: +1 (508) 497-8018