    RE: iSCSI: v15 R2T and DATA-OUT

    Excerpt of message (sent 24 July 2002) by Rod Harrison:

    > 	OK, it's been a long day. Let me try this one more time.
    >
    > 	I was write (almost) first time but I meant DATA-OUT instead of
    > DATA-IN. Here's what I meant to say ...
    >
    > 	There is a potential inconsistency in the description of the use of
    > the LUN field in DATA-OUT and R2T in the working v15 draft.
    >
    > 	9.7.3 Target Transfer Tag, for DATA-OUT last paragraph says ...
    >
    > 	"If the Target Transfer Tag is provided, then the LUN field MUST hold
    > a valid value and be consistent with whatever was specified with the
    > command;"
    >
    > 	9.8.5 Target Transfer Tag, for R2T says ...
    >
    > 	"The Target Transfer Tag and LUN are copied in the outgoing data PDUs
    > and are used by the target only."
    >
    > 	Potentially a target could return a different LUN field in the R2T,
    > for perhaps some funky LUN mapping or other internal reason expecting
    > it to be copied to the DATA-OUT as per the R2T text.

    I think that's a very bad idea and should not be permitted.

    If someone wants to do LUN mapping, that's fine, so long as it's
    transparent to the initiator.  To map a LUN and then let the mapped
    number leak out to the initiator is broken.

    > 	I think we need to indicate what is expected of the initiator if the
    > LUN field in the R2T does not match the LUN in the command PDU.

    Given that the subject was brought up I tend to agree that the spec
    should say something.  I would prefer it to say that this is a
    protocol error.

    	 paul

Last updated: Tue Jul 30 10:39:10 2002
11481 messages in chronological order