    Re: iSCSI: Question about ErrorRecoveryLevel

    Comments in text.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    Networked Storage Architecture
    Network Storage Solutions
    Hewlett-Packard MS 5668
    Roseville CA 95747
    cbm@rose.hp.com

    > > The reason MUST language was not used is because the text in question is
    > > defining the terminology, but is not phrased in such a way as to place requirements
    > > on implementations.  It is similar to several terminology descriptions in chapter 2.
    > >
    > > My intent when I wrote that text was - because the negotiation of the
    > > ErrorRecoveryLevel follows the regular negotiation rules (i.e. don't originate
    > > a proposal that you cannot support, and the result function is "minimum"), no
    > > additional MUST/SHOULD/MAY language is necessary.  But if you recommend
    > > explicit text, I suggest we add the following at the end of the last para of
    > > text in 5.13 -
    >
    > That though doesn't answer my question. :-) The main question is does
    > ErrorRecoveryLevel 1 imply both within-command and within-connection
    > support, or does it imply at least one and maybe both?

    Both.  It is clear to me by the way the terminology is defined ( note the "and"
    in 5.13).  I thought your question had to do with implementation expectations.

    > > When a defined value of ErrorRecoveryLevel is proposed by an
    > > originator in a text negotiation, the originator MUST support the
    > > functionality defined for the ErrorRecoveryLevel or functionality
    >                                                    ^^
    > Is this supposed to be "and"?

    Okay, "and" may be clearer (the "or" was used because only one of
    the levels can be picked by the reponder).

    > > corresponding to any defined value numerically less than the proposed.
    > > When a defined value of ErrorRecoveryLevel is returned by a responder
    > > in a text negotiation, the responder MUST support the functionality
    > > corresponding to the ErrorRecoveryLevel it is accepting.
    >
    > If "and" is appropriate, then shouldn't we add, "and all numerically lower
    > levels" to the end of the paragraph?

    I don't see the need.  If I'm accepting X, then I am promising to employ
    X in the session operation.  OTOH, if I'm offering X, it means that I'm
    promising to settle for any Y, where 0<=Y<=X, that the other side would
    return in the response.

    IMO, the point that the functionality is hierarchical doesn't need to be made
    everywhere.

Last updated: Wed Jul 17 22:18:57 2002
11372 messages in chronological order