    Re: iSCSI: DLB's Last Call T15 comment

    The issue was that some of the folks in the group, did not even perceive
    that their boxes would even have the problem that the statement was
    designed to handle.  And they did not want to have to respond as specified
    to get around a problem that did not exist.  Hence, they agreed after some
    debate that IF a box had that problem then it SHOULD make that response.
    They did not want MUST since they did not have the problem to begin with.
    And the other folks did not want MAY, since they did not feel that if a box
    had that problem, it was approprate for the box not to inform the
    Initiator.

    The debate issue about the "realness" of the problem seems to be still
    valid (but I would hope that we do not go into that on this list).  The
    point seemed to be around different design issues.

    So the choice of SHOULD in my opinion was approprate, since it is not
    needed if the problem does not exist in a specific implementation, and MAY
    is much too weak if the box has the problem.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

    "Mallikarjun C." <cbm@rose.hp.com> on 07/09/2002 11:00:20 AM