    iSCSI: DLB's Last Call T17 comment

    John,

    [T.17]  6.4  Format Errors

       The following two explicit violations of PDU layout rules are format
       errors:

            a)  illegal contents of the PDU header (except the Opcode) - for
            ex., out-of-range values for certain fields
            b)  inconsistent contents - for ex., value of one field conflicts
            with that of another.

       Format errors indicate a major implementation flaw in one of the par-
       ties.

    The two "for ex."s aren't good enough.  Details on what is a format error
    need
    to be spelled out explicitly, given the drastic consequences of committing
    one.

    > I also disagree with your item T17.  I think those examples are all that
    is
    > needed, since there are an infinite number of ways for someone to screw
    up.
    > Much of the document, is spent stating what MUST, SHOULD, SHOULD NOT be
    > done, repeating those at this point would not be useful.

    A large pile of additional examples is not what's needed - what I asked
    for is more precise definitions of "illegal contents" and "inconsistent
    contents".  This need only take a few sentences - I think the intent is that
    a format error is something that can be determined to be wrong statically
    without reference to any session or connection state and is wrong
    in a fashion that violates a MUST in the definition of the format
    of the appropriate PDU.  For example, setting both the O and U bits
    to 1 in a SCSI Response PDU is a format error, but using a bad Initiator
    Task Tag (unknown to the Initiator) is not.

    The text in the above paragraph starting with "a format error is" should
    be most of what's needed to resolve this one, and even includes a couple
    of examples that are more specific than the current text.

    +1 (508) 249-6449            FAX: +1 (508) 497-8018

Last updated: Tue Jul 09 03:18:51 2002
11201 messages in chronological order