    RE: iSCSI: Decimal encoding - why 64 bits ?

    Paul,

    there are two subjects that we are discussing:

    1-size of numbers 64bit vs 32 bit
    2-decimal encoding for bit strings

    The 2 subjects are somewhat orthogonal.

    Elizabeth was referring to the second subject.

    julo

    Paul Koning <ni1d@arrl.net>
    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    07/07/2002 04:11 PM
    Please respond to Paul Koning

            To:        Elizabeth.G.Rodriguez@123mail.net
            cc:        ips@ece.cmu.edu
            Subject:        RE: iSCSI: Decimal encoding - why 64 bits ?

    Excerpt of message (sent 6 July 2002) by Elizabeth G. Rodriguez:
    > Given these examples, I believe that restricting decimal encoded binary
    > strings is not an option.

    Why not?  I don't see that phone numbers have any relevance to the
    discussion.  And port numbers (just like IP addresses) are not 64 bit
    values, which is what we were talking about.

                        paul