    Re: iSCSI: Decimal encoding - why 64 bits ?

    --- "Julian Satran (Actcom)"
    <Julian_Satran@actcom.net.il> wrote:
    > Martins,
    >
    > In fact reading your note I went back and found an
    > error we may want to
    > correct:
    >
    > TargetPortalGroupTag is a 16 bit binary string and
    > not an number (there is
    > no TPGT that is lower or higher than another TPGT).

    Again, I don't have draft 14 in front of me but
    13 says that TPGT is "a simple unsigned-integer
    between 1 and 65535" (2.4.1 (e)) and a "numerical-
    value-from-1-to-65535" (11.9). I would prefer it if
    you did not change this to a "binary string" just
    to prove a point that there are binary strings
    for which decimal encoding is natural. That, IMO,
    would be a very profound change at an extremely
    late stage. (If you do, I'll make sure all my
    TPGTs start with 0x00 and deny all attemts to
    encode them in decimal :-)).

    > There are no good examples that need decimals other
    > than TPGT but I see no

    Even TPGT is not a good example, as it is defined
    to be a number, for now at least.

    > point in disallowing them for vendor keys and future
    > extensions. Any
    > implementation will have the conversion routines.
    > Restricting the use of
    > decimals beyond what we did does not strike me as
    > useful.

    Others (and there are many) here seem to be
    disagreeing with you.

    The conversion, while possible, will likely
    first use some common library routine, then
    byteswap (if running on little-endian), then
    do a pass to eliminate leading 0-bytes, which
    are not representable in decimal.

    OK, my final argument. Here are two binary
    strings, encoded in hex: 0x01 and 0x0001.
    Can you give us an example of encoding both
    of them in decimal in such a way that they
    can be distinguished?

    Martins Krikis, Intel Corp.

    Disclaimer: these opinions are my own and may
                not be those of my employer.