    Re: IPS security draft: SRP groups

    In answer to your question, here is a suggestion from Dan Simon for
    determining the appropriate generators for the IKE primes, for use with SRP.

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Dan Simon
    Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 2:36 PM
    To: iscsi-security@external.cisco.com
    Subject: SRP groups

    To determine if a given g is a generator of the whole group (a necessary
    property for SRP), you need to know the factorization of (p - 1); you
    raise the candidate to the power of x for all x which are factors (not
    just prime factors) of p - 1, and reject it if you ever get 1 (mod p).  In
    the case of the IKE primes, which are of the form p - 1 = 2q, q prime, just
    test that neither g^2 nor g^q are 1 (mod p); any g that passes that test
    will do.  If the SRP primes were generated randomly, then their predecessors
    (i.e., p - 1) may not be easy to factor; but if they are, then you can
    choose a generator for them as I've described.

                    Hope that helps,

                              Dan